- Ph.D., Brandeis University (Waltham, MA)
- Mentor: Dr. Barry Snider
- She accomplished the total synthesis of (+)-nitramine, a proposed neurotoxin. She also studied Lewis acid-catalyzed reactions of aldehydes, and developed a novel cyclization reaction.
- M.S., Northeastern University (Boston, MA)
- Working on organo-metallic chemistry
- B.S. in Chemistry, Universidad Simon Bolivar, Caracas, Venezuela
- Since arriving at Appalachian in 1986, she has extended her research to include the one pot synthesis of 5,7-diphenyl-2,3-Dihydro-1 H-pyrrolizine; the study of the reactions of sodium hydrogen selenide withα,β-unsaturated compounds and the synthesis of enaminones using Lewis acids as activators. Her teaching responsibilities have included Biochemistry, Advanced Organic Chemistry, Organic Synthesis, and Organic Chemistry I and II lectures and laboratories. She is currently teaching Fundamentals of Organic Chemistry.
- Post-doctoral Research Associate, Chemistry Department at Cornell University
- She worked on the total synthesis of biosynthetic intermediates of the shikimic acid pathway.
Dr. Cartaya-Marin is an organic synthetic chemist interested in developing synthetic methods and in the total synthesis of natural products that possess anti-cancer properties. Dr. Cartaya-Marin has studied the nucleophilic aromatic substitution reaction of trihalogenated benzenes with cyclic amines, as well as the use of microwaves to enhance organic reactions. She has also collaborated with Dr. Ece Karatan from the Biology Department on a project that involves the synthesis of cyclic-diguanylic acid and using this acid to find the cylic-diguanylic acid (c-di-GMP) regulated signal transduction pathways in vibrio cholerae.
Selected Publications: TBA
Department: Department of Chemistry
Email address: Email me
Phone: (828) 262-2763